Installation of a Cementitious Polyurethane Flooring System for a Pet Care Facility
The Iams Dog food facility in Henderson NC needed a new floor system and needed it turned around and back in service in 36 hours. A tough as nails system "Polyurethane Cement" was selected for its rapid return to service as well as resistance to high traffic, thermal shock and resistance to high levels of Moisture Vapor Transmission and frequent cleaning cycles.
Polyurethane Cement in this environment called for a "Steel Shot Blasted" surface profile providing the required adhesion values needed between the concrete substrate and the Polyurethane Cement resin. We blasted the floor with our Blastrac 1-10D electric shot blasting equipment as propane powered equipment was not an option in this facility.
After completing the require surface preparation, SIKA Pur Cem 22N Polyurethane Slurry was installed and broadcast to rejection using silica sand. A grout coat of 100% solids epoxy was then applied for the wearcourse and then a final finish of 2 part aliphatic urethane with aluminum oxide added for both non slip and greater wear resistance.
As you can see above all of the attributes of this product make it an excellent choice for multiple applications. Its resistance to high levels of MVT (moisture vapor transmission), withstanding repetitive wash cycles, impact resistance and malleable, denting instead of chipping, thermal shock resistance, longwearing and abrasion resistant as well as quick installation time and return to service. For more information about these and other services, call McCord Contractors, Inc. today or consult the table below.
Cementitious Polyurethane Flooring System Highlights
- Product Description
- Installation of SIKA Pur Cem 22N cementitous polyurethane slurry.
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Steel Shot blasting
- Removal of all existing old coating and then shot blasting with medium steel shot to provide an anchor profile suitable for this application.
- Install of SIKA Pur Cem 22N polyurethane floor system.
- Squeegee apply using notched squeegee and allow the slurry mixture to self-level.
- Broadcast to rejection with silica sand and allow to cure.
- Finish with epoxy wearcourse and or urethane finish.
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- Blastrac 1-10 D electric shot blasting machine.
- Overall Laboratory Dimensions
- 5600 sq. feet
- The numerous attributes of cementitious urethane make it an excellent choice for multiple applications. It is resistant to high levels of MVT (moisture vapor transmission), withstands repetitive wash downs, impact resistant (malleable), thermal shock resistant and longwearing, as well as providing a quick application that allows a fast return to service.
- Floor Material
- Failed coating over concrete removed and underlying concrete prepared by steel shot blasting.
- Flooring Finish
- Slight non-skid finish using aluminum oxide
- Turn Around Time
- Plant shutdown working around the clock 36 hours return to service.
- Industry for Use
- Pet Care Facility
- Installation Location
- Henderson, North Carolina
- Standards Met
- Customer supplied Specifications
- Profile Name
- Installation of SIKA Pur Cem 22N
- Resists a very wide range of organic and inorganic acids, alkalis, amines, salts and solvents.
- Refer to the Sikafloor PurCem Chemical Resistance Chart. Consult Sika Technical
- Service for additional information.
- Textured surface provides anti-slip surface.
- Similar coefficient of thermal expansion to concrete, allowing movement with the substrate through normal thermal cycling.
- It will perform and retain its physical characteristics through a wide temperature range from -40ºF (-40ºC) up to 212ºF (100ºC).
- Non-tainting, odorless.
- Can be applied over partially cured concrete slabs (<10% moisture), full 28 day cure time is not necessary.
- Minimal maintenance costs, superior life cycle cost advantage versus tile.
- Meets USDA requirements for incidental food contact.